INTERESTED IN FOSTER CARE?
Foster parents are people who are committed to making a difference
in the life of a child.
Our foster parents are York Region residents who are at least 18
years of age. They may be married or single. They may or may not already have
children of their own. Foster families come from a variety of cultural, spiritual,
economic, and lifestyle situations.
Successful foster families tend to share some common characteristics.
- View children as precious and place high value on parenting
- Have a basic understanding of children, their development, and their needs
- Enjoy learning
- Have an optimistic and positive life view
- Are patient and consistent, yet able to meet new challenges with flexibility
FOSTER CARE PROGRAMS AT YORK
Each child is special and we provide a number of foster care options
to meet their needs and support foster families.
- Regular foster care - a program for fostering children with a minimum of special needs
- Specialized foster care - foster parents are recruited, trained and supported to
deliver services to children who have developmental, medical or other needs which
require specialized services
- Treatment foster care - experienced foster parents deliver in home remedial programming
for children with behavioural or emotional issues, or complex family issues
- Relief foster homes - relief families provide short term and weekend respite care
to children placed in other foster homes as part of our community of support to foster
All foster families receive extensive training, regular relief, and ongoing
support from our foster care team.
If you would like to learn more about fostering, please complete the following
form and someone from our office will contact you.